Liver detox support in Menopause
I have started the year off by giving you tips on how to support your liver to detox hormones, to reduce menopausal symptoms. Making the transition easier for you to cope with. This also helps you to avoid developing metabolic syndrome – along with osteoarthritis. Which unfortunately a lot of women tend to develop once in menopause.
This is due to the loss of protection provided by oestrogen, that you have when your body is still producing it
- Heart health – blood pressure
- Insulin and sugar regulation
- Bone mineralisation
It is important to have your liver functioning at its best so that it can do what it does best
- Burn fat
- Breaking down and eliminating excess hormones
- Activate metabolic hormones
If your liver is not working efficiently, it then tends to do the opposite
- Metabolism slows down
- Hormones build-up
- Fat is stored, not burnt
When your liver doesn’t work effectively and efficiently, oestrogen accumulates due to being reabsorbed. Your body then becomes ‘overloaded’, causing oestrogen dominance. This then has a flow-on effect within your body, leading to fat storage and not fat burning.
The other issue with having excess adipose fat is that both the naturally produced toxins and the foreign toxins, get stored in your fat cells. This, you do not want!
You can support your liver function with healthy eating and lifestyle habits.
Healthy eating habits
Drinking around 3L of water – aids your body to eliminate toxins that are produced naturally, from different biological/biochemical processes. As well as, eliminating toxins that we absorb and/or ingest from our environment
- Household chemicals
- Chemicals in foods
- Chemicals in beauty and personal care products
- Workplace chemicals
Drinking plenty of water also
- helps you to have good bowel function, which is also another way for your body to eliminate toxins.
- Prevent fluid retention; as believe it or not, if you don’t drink enough, your body holds on to it!
- Reduces weight gain – as your body is eliminating excess fluid from your cells and blood circulation
- Reduces bloating
- You can add the extra water by having herbal teas, that support liver function
- Dandelion leaf/root
- Green tea
- Lemon/orange peel
Drinking 1cup of warm water with ¼ – ½ lemon, 1-2 pinches of cayenne pepper, any time of the day. This helps to stimulate your digestion and metabolism, further supporting liver detox and elimination.
Eating plenty of broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, bok choy, cabbage and kale. These support and improve your liver function. Also, make sure that you add plenty of bitter herbs such as rocket, radicchio, watercress, chicory, endive, radishes, kale, artichoke
Healthy lifestyle habits
- Dry skin brushing – this stimulates your lymphatic system, by increasing blood circulation. Supporting your lymph glands to eliminate toxins from your system.
- Epsom salt bath – improves detoxification and, helps to relax your muscles.
- Saunas – try to have a sauna every day. Eliminate toxins – heavy metals, chemicals and other waste – via perspiration.
By making sure that your liver is working at its best, you will have many noticeable benefits and, changes to your health
- Increased energy
- Less bloating/water retention
- Improved memory and brain function
- Weight loss/body fat loss
- No more food cravings
- Reduced joint discomfort
- Better sleep
- Your skin will look more vibrant and healthier
And most of all, you will feel healthier with a much happier view of life and your wellbeing!